I am so happy for and proud of my friend Marie Berbick. I met this young lady about ten years ago when we (well mainly me), were rookie Journalists at a local newspaper. I was so introverted. Shy cyaan done! But Marie with her positive outlook and experience literally held my hand led me safely through those early assignments. I remember when I had to cover social events (with the big shots as it were), God I hated it because I thought, the socialites thought they were better than me. Marie would just walk into the room or wherever these events were held, talk with a few persons, get her story and she'd be out. I admired that because in her I saw who I wanted to be as a journalist.
As she does these days, she always strived for excellence. I remember when she won a certificate from the Press Association of Jamaica, I was her date that night! and I say that proudly because we had been on the battle field many times. We were together in 1998 (i believe it was) when Downtown was under siege after the police held Zeeks, and we were together on one of the many occasions back then when Mountain View broke out in war! It was her who actually encouraged me to do a Certificate course in Journalism, a course I later aced and earned my first front-page story from.
Years later, here she is, launching and operating her own company BERBICK GRAHAM CREATIVE and doing a fantastic job. We've remained friends over the years and on occasion, we get together and share our experiences.
Girlie; I just want you to know how proud I am of you. You are an inspiration and truly and strong black woman.
Love,
I am humbled and honoured to be described in such terms. Just happy to always be able to share with my colleagues, friends and the people I love. Thank you Sancia for your kind words and continued support.
ReplyDeleteIt is so refreshing to see another female celebrating another. My favorite motto is "No Man is an Island", we all need each others support at some point in our life and it is so important for us to give as much as we receive and as simple as sharing a few strategies can be rewarding on both ends. I have to love my "Jamaican people". BTW as I mention "Jamaican people" is that patois or proper English? It always annoys me when I hear the US presidents say "American people".
ReplyDelete