Last week was a great week for me because track and field is my thing! I love the adrenaline, drive and determination associated with reaching the finish line. So I was up before the birds every morning, struggled to keep awake through the day but bright eyed and bushy-tailed again, for the night sessions... talk about priorities! lol!
I must admit though that it started a bit slowly for Jamaica but I'm a die-heart when it comes to track; so win, lose or draw, JAMAICA ALL THE WAY and I stuck with them. I had to; they were, are and will always be my team :)
Here are my highlights of the weeks unfolding:
USAIN'S 'JOOK'-START
The false-start (or jook-start as I like to call it) of Usain Bolt in the 100m Men's final has been talked about and analyzed to death! Like most Jamaicans and by extension Bolt-fans; I was disappointed with the false-start. To be perfectly honest I thought of it when they went into the blocks but dared not utter the words for fear it would become reality! I guess thoughts do become reality for no sooner had I thought it did it happen. The sheer anguish that was written over Bolt's face and posture said it all, 'I messed up, big time'. But what struck me most in the analysis following this mess up was the reaction of my fellow Jamaicans.... people actually thought Usain and Yohan came to some agreement so that Yohan would win. In other words Usain agreed to give Yohan a 'bligh' by embarrassing himself on the world's biggest stage!!! That is by far the biggest load of crock I've ever heard.. all I could say was wow! Are people really that dense????
Y0HAN'S GOLD MEDAL PERFORMANCE
Yohan Blake must be feeling really proud of himself today. He's how old again? Youngest man to ever win the 100m Men and a 4x100 gold medal to boot with an extra US$20,000 for being part of the record breaking team... wow! What a championships!!!
I am happy that Yohan took the 100m in Bolt's absence, I would have been worst disappointed if a certain WD representing you-know-where had won!!! The unfortunate thing however is that Yohan will forever live in the shadow of 'it's-because-Bolt-false-started-why-you-won'. He however went on to prove his mettle in the 4x100... the announcers commented that it was his blistering leg of the race that cause such a topple of teams... talk about earth shattering!
MELAINE'S HEART
Just before the start of the World Championship, I learnt of Melaine's injuries and uncertainty at the games. I learnt that there were points at which she could not even train, so imagine when Melaine takes the track and brings home a silver medal for Jamaica. For me this was just one of the most fulfilling moments of the Games, it showed heart, determination, drive and a zeal to win... i hope that her injuries will soon be healed and that she will return to defend her Olympic title in London 2012.
WELCOME JERMAINE
Jermaine Gonzales has been "labouring in the field" for some time now. I remember when he came on the scene at the same time with Usain at that World Junior Champs which was held in Kingston, Jamaica. I am not disappointed in Jermaine's placement in the 400m Men, in fact, I'm encouraged and I am looking forward to seeing him on the podium in London 2012. Good job Jermaine.
JETER, FELIX, PEARSON
In the midst of what was another great Jamaican performance, I also have to highlight the performances of Carmelita Jeter (USA), Allison Felix (USA) and Sally Pearson (Australia). Contrary to how many Jamaicans may feel, I like Jeter, she's a fighter and her win in the 100m women was the icing on the cake for what had been consistently good performances throughout her season. Unlike for Jeter, I'm not a big fan of Allison Felix, not because she doesn't have drive but because I don't follow her event much but that girl ran with HEART... 5 medals: 2 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze... hopefully she's happy cuz I hear she's a hard girl to please. Finally, Sally Pearson (formerly McLelland) - what a run in the 100m sprint hurdles... sheesh! She has been in top shape all season - she looks like someone who has done her homework and studied her competitors. Even though the event was lacking some of the bigger names like Lolo Jones (USA) and Priscilla Lope-Schleep (Canada), Sally's gold medal and world leading times were well worth watching.
THE INVINCIBLE VCB
No good analysis can been written and not mention Veronica Campbell-Brown a.k.a VCB! Currently, she is Jamaica's most accomplished female athlete. One gold and two silvers, in her own words '... these championships have been good for me". And, Ms. VCB, they've been good for me too!
FIREWORKS
The 4x100 men's relay was poised to be great. All the powerhouses made it to finals: Jamaica, USA, Great Britain and Trinidad & Tobago. I was certain there would the fireworks but none like what was experienced yesterday... the commentator's comment about Jamaica's 'flying-like' bolt through the race threw everyone off including the mighty USA - that's the part I was saddest about because I wanted my team to "whip dem right".. that sadness was however short lived as I watched what for me what was a flawless race and Usain Bolt blazing across the finish line. The time sealed it for me 37.04 seconds!!!! What would have happened if my sweetie pie, Asafa Powell was there yesterday... sheesh!
THE BEST EVER
My number one moment at the World Championships was surprisingly not in any of the medals that Jamaica took... not even the 4x100 World Record. My most 'favourite-st' moment was the close of the ceremony and the last anthem to be played was 'Eternal Father, bless our land'... wow!!!!! Jamaica set the world alight again!!!!
SPECIAL MENTIONS:
Kim Collins (St. Kitts & Nevis): He had a great championship: 2 bronze medals
Kirani James (Grenada): What a race!!! First gold, first medal ever for Grenada
Kelly Baptiste (T&T): Great bronze in the 100m
Richard Thompson (T&T): I don't know what happened with Richard this time around, it seemed he wasn't even there... I need to hear from you next year Richard :D
All in all, it was great: I enjoyed it.
I miss the World Championships sooo bad :(
STC
No comments:
Post a Comment