Monday, July 16, 2012

Olympics 2012 Predictions

So before the bell tolls, I want to make sure that I put in my predictions for what promises to be an exciting Olympics 2012. Before I begin my predictions, I believe it will be largely a Jamaica vs. USA games particularly as it relates to the short distances, so those are really the areas that I will focus on. I do not want to be labeled a 'wagonist' so here goes:

Mens 100M
This will be the blue riband event of all times. A friend and I were discussing last week that Usain should just dip below 9 secs and then the IOC would just retire the 100m! lol! But seriously to make it to the finals will be one task. However I am going to put my neck on the line and give a final 7 (with an open lane). In no particular order:
- Usain Bolt (Jam)
- Yohan Blake (Jam)
- Asafa Powell (Jam)
- Tyson Gay (USA)
- Justin Gatlin (USA)
- Christophe Lemaitre (Fra)
- Churandy Martina (Neth)
- Open

In terms of Medals:
Gold - Usain Bolt
Silver - Yohan Blake
Bronze - Asafa Powell OR Tyson Gay

Men's 200M
Again, this will be another nail-biter but I am sticking with my guys again.
Medals:
- Usain Bolt (Jam)
- Yohan Blake (Jam)


Women's 100M
Veronica Campbell- Brown & Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce has the capacity to topple the apple cart of the entire US team of Carmelita Jeter, Tianna Madison & Allyson Felix.
I have been watching and I must say Tianna looks good... given the chance, she can do some damage but I believe that her inexperience will show up and therefore she will not make it to the finals.

The medals will therefore come from the premiere ladies mentioned before. My predictions are:
Gold - Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
Silver - Carmelita Jeter
Bronze - Veronica Campbell-Brown
and, yes I am not giving a medal to Allyson Felix! lol!

Women's 200M
This is going to be very interesting because the same set of ladies that meet in the 100 will compete against each other again with the addition of Sanya Richards-Ross. However, here are the predictions:
Gold - Veronica Campbell-Brown (Jam)
Silver - Shelly-Ann Fraser- Pryce (Jam)
Bronze - Sanya Richards-Ross (USA)
and, yes I am still leaving Allyson Felix out of it... along with Carmelita Jeter!!!

Men's 110H

While I believe that Hansle Parchment (JAM) looks okay, the big guns such as Liu Xiang (CHN), Dayron Robles (CUB) and the hotttttttttttt Jason Richardson (USA), will run circles around him. He will not make to the finals. My predictions are:
Gold - Liu Xiang (CHN)
Silver - Jason Richardson (USA)
Bronze - Dayron Robles (CUB)

Women's 110H

Our home girl Bridgette Foster-Hylton is soooo hungry for this gold medal and I do believe she has the capacity to get it. But other hungry competitors are there such as Lolo Jones (USA), Priscilla Lopes-Schlep (CAN) and the timeless Sally Pearson (AUS). It's gonna be hard, but if Bridgette believes, I will with her. My predictions are:
Gold - Sally Pearson (Aus)
Silver - Lolo Jones (USA)
Bronze - Bridgette Foster-Hylton (JAM)

Women's 400H
I believe this will be the coming out party for one my favourite girls, Kaliese Spencer. Kaliese has done most things right except win an Olympic or World medal. She will however have to be mindful of her compatriot Melaine Walker (another of my favourites) and Lashinda Demus (USA). The medals will be among this said trio:
Gold - Melaine Walker (JAM)
Silver - Lashinda Demus (USA)
Bronze - Kaliese Spencer (JAM)

Men's 400m
I am praying for Jermaine Gonzales because I seriously want him to get a medal. However, Kirani James (Gre), Lashawn Merritt (USA), this guy from South Africa who's name I can't remember, Javier Coulson (PR)... whooooo! I am praying! No predictions here.

Women's 400m
This is fast becoming an exciting event for me. Novlene Williams-Mills wants it so bad. But then there is Amantle Montsho (Bot), Sanya Richards-Ross (USA) and this new girl, Francena McRory (USA). Now Francena doesn't really have the experience but she can run. I think it will come down to who wants it more on the day. The medals will come from: Williams-Mills (JAM), Montsho (BOT) and Richards-Ross (USA)

The all-important relays:

4x100m
Now I am not bragging but I believe its a given that this is a medal already in the bag. The only way to lose this gold medal would be to physically open the bag, take it out and hand it to another team. So aside from the gold, I am also predicting a world record!!!!

4x100w
Getting the stick around has been a challenge in the past. I am speaking with confidence because I want to believe that it is a thing of the past. With two of the fastest women in the world (Shelly-Ann & VCB), I fail to see why Jamaica can't conquer this event. The inclusion of Kerron Stewart and Sherone Simpson/Shellonie Calvert should make the event a gold medal winning performance.

The ladies will have to keep their egos in check and watch out for Team USA which always fields a favourable team as well as show-stoppers, Bahamas and possibly Great Britain. The US team will be very strong. Here is where Tianna Madison will definitely get her medal.
My predictions are:
Gold - Jamaica (if all egos are in check)
USA - Silver
Bronze - Open

4x400 m
Gold - USA (no competition here, they usually have a strong all round team)
Silver - Germany, South Africa, Jamaica
Bronze - Open

4x400w
For the first time, I believe Jamaica has the depth to really compete in this event. The team of Williams-Mills, Rosemarie Whyte, Shericka Williams and Dominique Blake can do it. I believe that if Jamaica can run some good strong legs... only the US Team with Richards-Ross, McCory and company could topple us.
Realistic predictions though:
Gold - USA
Silver - Jamaica
Bronze - Open

Final medal standings for Jamaica:
7 Gold
5 Silver
3 Bronze

GRAND TOTAL: 15

You know, I would truly love to hear your feedback!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Track is only a part of the Olympics so when you talk about a "Jamaica vs USA games" I assume you are talking about the track events. Obviously. I am not an expert and have NOT been following the form of those various athletes, but I do think Yohan Blake will get at least one gold medal. I think the girls are a bit unpredictable. I think Russia will do well in the 4 x 400 women's relays, and the UK COULD medal in the men's sprint relays. I agree with you on the men's 100 m lineup, but add maybe Dwain Chambers (UK) in there? That's about all I can really comment on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma. And yes for Jamaicans the Olympics is all about track and field, after all our representation in the remainder of the events are limited. I disagree with Dwain Chambers in the 100m. He failed to make the qualifying time of 10.18 at his national trials. Now with the world leading time at 9.8 (Yohan Blake) and the world record at 9.58 (Usain Bolt), he will have to do something extraordinary to even make it to the semi-finals.

    Yohan is really a beast but I believe that Usain will show up in a most phenomenal way and will be hard to beat. To walk away with a gold (relay) and 2 silvers will not be a bad pay day for him.

    Don't know much about the Russians but they have always been in good contention in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OR... Some completely new star might come up and shock all of us!!

    ReplyDelete