Every year on August 6, Jamaica celebrates Independence... and every year on August 6, I get a feeling of apathy all over again.
Based on my understanding of independence, it is the state or quality of being independent; freedom from the control, influence, support, aid, or the like, of others. Now, think about it, is Jamaica really free from the control or influence of others?
Let's look at our state of independence:
- We are currently under a four-year loan agreement with the International Monetary Fund
- Our debt to GDP ratio is somewhere in the region of 140%
- Each child born in this country inherits a debt of over J$600,000; which means that we owe our international partners almost $2 trillion dollars!!!
- All our major assets; sugar, airline, tourism... even the beloved music that Bob Marley created and gave us is owned by someone else... (the number one reggae song in the world today, Independence Day, according to iTunes is 'Easier' by Anuhea & J Boog)
- Our rate of productivity is woefully low because of the high energy cost, high cost of security and high cost of labour
Man, I could go on but am going to save myself further depression.
So, what are we really celebrating? I will be the first to admit that Jamaica has a colourful history.
Our ability to entertain is second to none. Our food; finger licking good, and we certainly know how to move to the beat of the drum and the bass. But at the end of the day, Jamaicans continue to struggle... it's like having a party tonight to celebrate our struggle tomorrow.
I have often said, Jamaica should never have received independence and I have often been berated for my opinion! Thankfully, this is my blog, and these are my thoughts on this thing called independence.
Like many Jamaicans, I enjoy the glory of our athletes, I gushed with pride when Chronixx represented on the Jimmy Fallon show and I was toe-to-toe with TVJ when Tessanne competed in and won the Voice... but what else?
No comments:
Post a Comment