Today is not a scheduled day for blogging. In fact, as I write I should be picking up the last set of tips before my big Law exam this afternoon. But after months of observation and being hit with yet another reality show, I had no choice, I simply had to log on and air my views about these 'reality' shows.
Count with me; let's see how many of them we have:
- Dancin Dynamites
- Digicel Rising Stars
- Magnum Kings & Queens of the Dancehall
and the newest addition, CVM's The Anchor.
Now this 'new' reality show is sort different in that there is no voting to see who will win the 'coveted' prize. However, it's still a bunch of hopefuls who in most cases have absolutely no talent in the area for which they are auditioning and appear on national television to make an absolute ass of themselves.
I had to voice one of my many thoughts last night: I wonder if any member of government takes the time to watch any of these shows? Because I don't know what anyone else sees, but what I see (with very little exception) is a bunch of people who have no other opportunity and are just 'tryin a ting'.
I remember watching an episode of Rising Star's and saw a man who had a different 'walk' for each day of the week. Yes it was funny to watch. But to see someone make such an ass of them self in a bid to get a few laughs and maybe a call back is nothing short of ridiculous. Then there was another lady from Montego Bay who literally collapsed when she auditioned for the Magnum Kings & Queens of Dancehall and was told to try again. Her reasoning behind the collapse "she has four children, no father, she lost her job and this audition was her last hope".
If I were in government, I would feel so guilty. Yes parents must take responsibility for bringing up responsible and hardworking citizens but if no opportunities are provided then what do we have? a country of people who are waiting for the next audition to 'try a ting'.
Sadly I don't watch local TV too much, but i have on occasion seen the shows your talking about. I agree completely i will watch and laugh but then when you really think about it It's very sad, like they are grasping at straws...and what is to become of them even after, either they are let down or they when and you still never hear of them again. They are simply being used to promote whatever product is sponsoring the show and yes they might win a one money get 5-10 mins of fame then....
ReplyDeletesigh...
What's also sad...people with an education...tertiary sometimes two degrees live in a country where they can't afford to move out of their parents house, I am surrounded by friends and family highly educated individuals, talented people who work hard and are honest and can't afford to live anywhere? A whole Generation at home with Mommy and Daddy or struggling to pay rent..or should i say somebody's mortgage.
AHHH... SADLY IT SEEMS WE ARE ALL JUST "TRYING A TING" that ting being to survive in this Gideon.
KEEP THE POSTS COMING LOVING THEM!
Kris
yes Krissy... mi nah lie, dem shows grieve me tho! And, don't even get me started about not being able to pay rent... I moved out and after only 2 years, had to move back :(
ReplyDeleteSo di ting set still... level :)