Monday, July 19, 2010

Public Appearances!

By no stretch of the imagination am I a fashion maven. I'm so comfortable in my skin that I an happy to wear anything that feels and looks good to me, even if my onlookers don't like it. But you know the difference between me and the people I'm about to talk about, I'm not a public figure!
Now people, I have a problem with those people who constantly hawk the camera but are never yet put together for the spotlight... from bad wigs to tacky outfits, these fashion atrocities come onto the big screen, mouth filled with complaints and when you look at them... ugh!
As I speak, one prominent person comes to mind, and even though these are my thoughts, there are things called lawsuits. And since I'm broke, I'm just going to describe the situation.
I must commend this individual because she can truly say 'she nuh fraid a no bwoy, or no gyal, no day' but that damn wig has got to go!!!!! It is so unnerving to see her on TV swinging her head from side to side defending the rights of the workers with the wig kotch one side! Probably all held down to her scalp using one single pin!!!! And then there are the clothes, good God Almighty... need I say more!
People, when you're constantly making public appearances, it is a must that you have certain things in place; at least two well-tailored suits, two pairs of well-heeled shoes and a good enough relationship with your hairdresser so that she can 'trust' you a do!!!
It is ridiculous, even in a recession, as a public personality to look so off-form, what are you trying to do, bring attention to your own situation? It ain't about you, it's about the workers! And any worker's representative who intends to represent me, particularly on TV, better get their act together!

Then there are those representatives who try too damn hard!!! Appearing on TV in Versace suits and Gucci glasses will not get you any additional benefits for those workers you claim to love and cherish! Let me tell you how the people with the purse strings think; "If you can afford name brand suits and shoes, you don't need a raise."

There is this thing called balance, or creating an illusion if you will; public personalities must learn to create this illusion. If you are representing a group of persons and most of them look 'pop-down' how you going to come on TV in your most expensive Sunday best to say 'we want more money. we broke, can't the government see that?" No he can't, your crisp suit and blinging glasses is blinding him!!!!

Come on people, that's why there is a profession called 'Stylist'. You don't have to have one everyday, but hire one just to re-do your wardrobe for you but for God's sake... don't come on my TV looking like you are the worst of, or better than me!

1 comment: