Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Put Jamaica first! Please!

I've been fighting the urge for over six months now to share my views on the constant bickering of the JLP and PNP... today, after all things considered, I am no longer fighting.
A friend of mine commented sometime ago that the JLP and PNP should be retired in the public's interest. Not only did he comment about it, he also started a group on Facebook to show how serious he was. At the writing of this entry, that group is 126 members strong! The poignant thing about this group however, is that, it's all young people. By young, I mean 20-30 odd year olds, young people who should be preparing to become standard bearers for our country.
I have always said and I maintain to this day that the biggest mistake this country made was Independence! Yes, I know I will get some flak for saying it, but when I look back at the great way in which we started and now at almost 48 years old, we hobble around like a man who made no plans in his youth, so he has no future.

In 1962, when Jamaica gained Independence, we were seen as the 'Pearl of the Caribbean'. Our Jamaican dollar was equivalent in value to the US dollar. The rest of the Caribbean, though they favoured the West Indian Federation, opted not to form same because the powerhouse, Jamaica was not part of it.
Jamaica has always been a trendsetter, and even during these current dark days, we are still world-beaters and trendsetters.

But to the issues, that have me pissed off! The saga of Dudus's extradition, the never-ending story surrounding Manatt, Phelps & Phillips (MPP) and the state of emergency. Like most Jamaicans, I sincerely believe that the JLP botched the extradition big time! If they did what needed to be done even six months ago, Jamaica would never have gone through the storm it has since experienced. The barricades, days-long gun firing between the security forces and gunmen and dead bodies galore have traumatized Jamaicans both at home and abroad.
This situation was further compounded by hiring MPP. I don't know that there is anything in the Constitution that speaks against how the situation was handled but it is messy! In a time when Jamaica continues to struggle financially, the Government found US$50,000 to discuss 'treaty issues' with an external party. Not only that, we recently learnt of an additional US$15,000 being paid again to MPP.

But its not only the financial issues, its also the fact that blatant lies were told and for a looooong time. Denials were coupled with arrogance and just outright rudeness from a number of government ministers.
I believe that it is time that Jamaicans demand respect from our 'servants'. They must be made to realize that 'is we mek dem deh which part dem deh'. Enough said about that.

Now on to the State of Emergency. A number of persons have opined that the state of emergency is simply the best thing to have happened to this country. I wholeheartedly concur! If only for a few weeks, I didn't hear about death every second and I actually thought of going out for evening entertainment :)
I know that the state of emergency cannot be in force forever but until a viable solution is found, it's worth continuing. The PNP has said that there is no emergency which is why they abstained from voting at a time when Jamaica needed them. But since the lifting of the SOE, innocent blood has once again begun to run in the country's streets. Look at the young pastor, ready to start a new chapter of his life and it was snuffed out just like that!

I have news for you Mr. Government and Mr. Opposition, we are in an emergency!!! When 5 people per day lose their lives violently in a country that is not at war, it is an emergency!
When hardworking people set-up businesses in a community and are demanded to pay protection money or else, it is an emergency!
When school grounds and hospitals are no longer safe havens for law abiding citizens, it is an emergency!

What will it take for us to realize that we must come together? The opposition continues to 'oppose, oppose, oppose' and I wonder when will they begin to really analyze situations before they oppose. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Peter Bunting... honestly I do! In fact, before his statement on Sunday, I thought of him as one of the brightest sparks in the party, apparently his bulb is not the brightest in the ever-dimming chandelier!

Government & Opposition, you all need to get your acts together because while you fight for the green and the orange, the red runs in the streets, and children and families will continue to cry for their loved one. Choose us... put Jamaica first! please!

1 comment:

  1. I share your sentiments my dear. I'm so sick of them and their games, heads too far up their political butts they cant see & do what is best for the country. Running a country is a big, dirty job and somebody has to do it..but who?

    ReplyDelete