So season 7 of Digicel Rising Stars is finally over... and not a moment too soon!!! What a long, dragged-out, boring season!!! This by far has been one of the most uneventful seasons since the competition began seven years ago. It would be unfair of me to even try to blame Digicel for the lackluster performances of the contestants but Jesus man! there must be some guidelines which they are required to follow...
If I were Digicel, I would begin by restricting the number of R&B songs that each artiste can perform... this whole heap a Whitney Houston and Alicia Keys song just not cutting it (And please, don't think I have anything against these ladies, because I don't).
The next thing is the choice of songs... isn't there like an expert who helps the contestants to select songs based on their voice depth and quality???
Not one of the contestants took a risk... the most exciting performance for me came from the fourth place contestant!!! yes fourth place - Nekorah Phillips's combination with Turbulence. Not even Khago's shenanigans with Jermaine Michael had me excited. I don't even remember who Dalton performed with on that night.
This is the first year since inception that a buzz was not created around the event. In years gone by, the anticipation was so electric because everyone was keen to know who would win the competition.
This year's show is a injustice to the Rising Star Alumni who have gone before. People like Daynea Deacon, Nickesia Barnes, Chris Martin and the great, Noddy virtue made the competition come alive.
I don't know what Digicel will do next year but something's got to give. It's been said that there were much better singers who were not selected and I am certain there were but we will seriously need an injection of not only talent but creativity into next year's show.
To show how bad it was, Digicel didn't even bother to rent Mas Camp for the regular final night soiree!!! That's the one thing I admire about them, proactive not reactive!
That aside though, and in the words of Anthony Miller (judge), it was a boring, bland season!
No comments:
Post a Comment