Monday, January 31, 2011

The 'New' Downtown Transportation system

I've deliberately refrained from commenting on the 'new' Downtown bus system but one can hold out so long and no more. Let me categorically state before I go into 'cuss' mode that I am not against change, in fact, I'm an advocate for change. I love development and improvements and nothing would make me happier than to see Jamaica move from developing status to a fully developed nation.

Having said all of that, I strongly believe that the people who recommended the 'new' changes have never taken a bus in all their life! I say this because some of the foolishness that I see in this 'new' transportation system just piss me off!!!

Although I was worried about the day the changes took effect, I decided to view the system with an open mind and judge it solely on its merits. I would listen to nothing (whether negative or positive) that was said by anyone about the system. All of what I would say or feel about the 'new' system would be based on my experience. And man, what an experience it's been so far!!!

On the first morning that I went Downtown after the big launch, I noted that the JUTC buses no longer stopped in the bus park on Pechon Street but instead journeyed to Parade. Great!!! no more long walking, I thought, 'this is nice'!
Then the confusion and discombobulation began...... I walked around to where I usually board the taxi that plies the Downtown to Cross Roads route (via South Camp road) only to be greeted by a bevy of big-bodied women in grey and white. They were 'guarded' by men wearing blue with vests, cannisters and holsters. As if those weren't intimidating enough, they pointed rifles seemingly at no-one but their faces dared you to 'try sumpin noh'.

I braved all of that and asked one of the grey and white clad women, where the taxis were which went to Cross Roads. She informed me that there were no such taxis and that I should proceed to North Parade to board the bus that plies on that route... my friends, I told her as I am now telling you, I have been working on Camp Road for over three years and I have never seen a JUTC bus on that route!

The problem with the grey and white lady's response as is with JUTC is communication. The lady's response was curt and stopped short of being 'short' with me. I cannot understand for the life of me where they find these people to interface with the commuting public. It's like they search for the worst of the worst and just thrown them into the position!

JUTC's communication problem is not just a system problem, it seems as if it is system-wide (that's for another convo). But you are having such drastic changes, and its on the first and busiest morning of the changes that you put in place a 'town crier' system to bark the new instructions to people! There was no personalized touch. JUTC also has a further problem called 'follow-through'... you cannot remove taxis from the street and do not replace them with buses... how are people suppose to find their way around? I concur that persons must use legal means of transportation but this 'chaka chaka' way of doing business will keep Jamaica forever in a developing nation status.

We all want change and betterment for our country but communication must be one of the tools that we use for this betterment... step up JUTC and do better man!

2 comments:

  1. I agree....Di 86 dem run bad fi a route that is so short in distance....A proper public education campaign would have eased the chaos as ppl would know where to get the buses that they needed and how to get around via the shuttle buses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bwoy Kareem; dem ppl yah jus no understand how fi deal wid odda ppl!

    ReplyDelete