Saturday, January 1, 2011

Be optimistic ... it's a new year!

Last night, I had the pleasure and awe of viewing the very last newscast for 2010... pleasure because many persons, both known and unknown to me, could not have shared that opportunity with me as they are no longer here. And awe because of the response to the poll question asked during the news. It asked 'Are you optimistic about the new year 2011?', 54% of respondents said 'yes'. Personally speaking, I am sorry for the 46% that voted 'no'.

Let us look at the meaning of the word 'optimistic'... according to www.dictionary.com, it means 'disposed to take a favorable view of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.' The response, if it could be taken at any scientific value means that almost half of the population is pessimistic about 2011!!!

Call me unrealistic, fuzzy-eyed, over-enthusiastic or whatever, I am an optimist just for the heck of it! I believe that once I am still alive, I have an opportunity to make a wrong situation right, fix a broken relationship or finish a project... I think life is the ultimate gift and no, I am not making light of anyone's situation, I'm just saying that once you are still here, there is an opportunity to change some things.

I am certain you've heard the saying 'if you do what you have always done, you'll get what you have always got'. Maybe you require a radical change in your situation... it therefore means that you need to change what you always do and your results may be different! If you're in debt, maybe it means living within your means!

All I am saying, don't be pessimistic about a situation that you have not yet encountered. It's like Marcus Garvey said, 'If you have no confidence [in self], you are twice defeated in the race of life.' Consider 2011 as the 'race of life' and if you enter it without confidence, you will be defeated. If you don't believe in the system, it's okay, believe in your skills and abilities and draw strength and hope from your true friends, your families and your God and you will find all you need to succeed.

A happy, prosperous and joyous 2010 to you!

2 comments: