I've been intentionally quiet over the past few days. You know how it is, being the introvert that I am. But I am also observant, I like to look at what's happening around me, process the information, select my words carefully and then speak.
A number of things has perturbed me over the period, one of them is the 'contempt' (i dare say) that it seems that Jamaicans have to welcoming Haitian refugees, who may end up on our shores as a result of their disaster.
Social sites like Facebook has been heating up. A friend of mine commented on a particular TV programme last week, whose host referred to the Haitians as 'those people' and one of her respondents was adamant with her opinions.... she don't want 'them' here, period.
Can I tell you, I am of like-mind. Except my reason is that we have so many people here suffering almost the same as, or even worse than the people in Haiti yet neither society nor individuals are paying any attention to them.
I like to listen to the wisdom in my colleagues' voices and I have a very wise co-worker by the name of Keera... very bright girl! She said something that made me think; "we are all hypocrites, we can help the people of Haiti and by extension we can help our own, but we refuse to be part of the solution, instead we complain about the problem" (not verbatim). Now, she didn't know this, but she caused me to think.
For many years, I have professed myself to be a Christian, but how many people have I shown Christian love to? Wasn't it Christ who said, "whatever you have done unto the least of these, you've done it unto me?" Have I truly lived the Christian principle until I have given a helping hand to a brother or sister, be they Haitian or Jamaican?
Friends, it's easy for us to point a finger and single out all the social problems that Jamaica has... mad people littering the streets, homeless families and children, not enough food to eat, money can't buy anything... but unless and until we step up and make that change, nothing will happen.
We would not have fulfilled our Christian principles and Christ would not be pleased.
Blessed,
No comments:
Post a Comment