Teenage crushes!!! I'm sure we all have had a crush on one someone at some point in our lives. Well, I've had my fair share of crushes but the teenage ones were the worst! I remember having a crush on this guy when I was about 14, oh Lord, I was pathetic. I would go past his house just to have a glimpse of him and if I didn't see him, I'd go past again. But you know what was the worst part about this crush: he never gave me the time of day! Didn't even know that I existed!
While I daydreamed about having his children and taking long walks on the beach, he would go past me, if he said 'hi', it would be fleeting and that's IF he said 'hi'.
But you know, life is so full of irony because guess who I 'buck up' a few months ago???? Same guy, but my have the tables turned. To put it mildly, I'm not the one doing the chasing!
Why am I saying all of this? When we are young, we sometimes react to another person's affection unfavorably. Totally ignoring someone because you don't feel the same way is rude! Feelings get hurt and self-worth gets crushed in the process.
So may I ask you to teach your children to be polite to each other. Teenage years are the most critical years in a young person's life. This is the point where we all want to fit in and sometimes we do some strange things to be accepted.
Looking back, I know I was willing to do anything for this guy to like me... yes, just about anything! But I was not even allowed to do: ANYTHING (lol)
Regardless of how well you teach your children, they need to interact with their peers as well, and it helps when they are polite to each other, instead of laughing at someone because they are not your type, treat that person with respect... after all you may have a crush on someone else ... and they may never give you the time of day! Imagine how that would feel...
You know Sans I wonder if the boys had it rough as us girls... I can remember the guy I had a crush on, it was my best friend brother, girl I had to keep all of that bundle inside, I was going through hell. My girlfriend and I would be there talking, laughing and enjoying the moment, wow as soon as the guy come by, mark you he was older than us, so he wasn't giving us the time a day. But all in all the feeling was good, I didn't mind him not saying anything I just want to see him...LOL. and of course you are right, now its my turn he would almost anything now for me to see him... I'm too busy, things and times really do change.
ReplyDeleteWalk good child
ha! i love it!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSanci, you are so right. When I was in 3rd form, the social club was selling ‘love’ notes for Valentines Day and a guy in my class bought one for me to show his affection. Very sad to say – (when I look at it now) - I was not interested and tore up the note and sent it back to prove my dislike; he was always displaying his affections, it was scary. In the same breath I was taken with a 6th former and wrote him a love letter with hearts, kisses, sprayed with perfume. This he took jokingly and shared my precious gift with his friends who mocked me mercilessly. I was humiliated. I haven’t written a letter since then.
ReplyDeleteBut can you believe my ‘boy crush’ befriend me on Facebook two years ago – (we have lost touch) – and expressed how I had hurt him. I have apologised to him sincerely because looking back, it was an awful and unnecessary act. Back then I did not know the word diplomacy. For some reason, the feeling was not mutual and I did not know the proper way to handle the situation. I have learnt greatly from that experience and have learnt to always take a person’s feelings into consideration; empathy is the way forward.