Have you noticed how dramatic and expressive these latter days children are? When they are making a case for rudeness, they are the most expressive, most convincing humans on the earth. Take for example, my three-year old 'drama king'... Mr. Xavier Kahlil McDonald... when he makes a case you cannot help but be convinced even if it is the rudest thing on the planet he just conceptualized.
But I should have known because at 6 weeks old, he woke up one night and refused to go back to sleep. He wasn't crying. I checked his diapers, fed and burped him, yet he just laid on the bed staring at me. Meanwhile, I was there the bewildered mother, begging him to go back to sleep, after all it was about 2 or 3 am, but Xavier just laid there and stared at me. Suddenly out of nowhere a big smile popped onto his face as if to say, 'trouble' and just as quickly as he smiled he closed his eyes and fell asleep.
Since then, 'trouble' has been his daily mantra. One Saturday evening, he announced that he was going to brush his teeth. Against my better judgment (he had brushed his teeth about an hour before because he had taken a shower) I gave him his toothbrush and left him alone. I heard no noise, water was running but there wasn't usual singing or singular banter which I have become accustomed to from him. So I kindly went to check what was happening. Xavier stuffed the bar of soap into the sink hole of the wash basin and filled the basin with water. When I got to the bathroom, the water was just about ready to run over onto the floor. Startled that I caught him, he announced "Look Mommy, big wata". I just took the toothbrush from him, chased him out of the bathroom and released the water.
One wonders where they come up with these things. It also makes me wonder if I did the same things as a child. There are quite a number of characteristics that I see in him that I know I possessed as a child. Mischievousness is one such characteristic.
Xavier will see his Uncle (who is 11 years old) sitting quietly reading or watching TV and proceed to either slap him and run or stand in front of the TV.
Then there is the lip on him!!! That's for another entry.
Seriously though, I am a happy Mother because you know I do not have to worry about a sad child. Xavier loves life. He's adventurous and looks for the fun in everything and that's what being a child is about. So let him enjoy himself. Hopefully, I will see the fun in his actions too.
Lata,
No comments:
Post a Comment