Today is a bittersweet day for me. Generally speaking I feel good but my spirit is troubled. It is troubled because my brothers and sisters are in trouble. The lives of the people of Haiti have once again been thrown into turmoil due to acts of nature. As if four hurricanes, back-to-back, in 2008 were not enough, they now have to deal with the devastation of the biggest earthquake, this side of the world in the last decade.
Have you seen the pictures? Devastation everywhere. Dead bodies piled high on top of each other. Tears and blood mixed with debris from the buildings streaming down the faces of women and children. The sense of loss, not only of belongings, but of life, hope and a future. They must be asking themselves, "how many times do I have to rebuild?", "what should I do now?"
Aside from the physical provisions of money, food and clothes, what encouragement can you now offer to these people? Do you say, 'God loves you' and 'He's going to fix it'? How exactly do you comfort a survivor who has lost every member of his or her family, home, job and sense of self?
The answer to these questions lies in our response to the affected. We answer these questions and many others with our actions. You see, God has no other hands and feet to use but ours. Now is the time to be our brother's keeper.
Time and distance ceases to exist because we must reach out. Friends, let us extend ourselves. I know times are tough but just imagine Jamaica in the same situation with no one to help. Extend a hand today. Pray for the people of Haiti and donate something, anything ... nothing is too small to give.
Love,
I feel greatly for this Nation and have had them in my prayer since January 12, 2010. I do hope the telethon US$57 mil, the Red Cross contributions, the RJR JA$10 mil + US1k, et al, all goes to the assistance of the cause and not for the unintended. The suspecting seems to be 'cashing' in; exploiting on those in dire need.
ReplyDelete